Tuesday, November 9, 2010

DIY is my middle name

Picture this: you're at a craft fair, and as the person next to you picks up something from a booth, they say, "Oh, I could make that."  The people in the booth hate that, because the odds are that even if you could make it, you never will.

I'm guilty of doing that as much as the next person, but more often than not, I do actually try to make things. I see something I think is cool, and it's a very short hop from there to the craft store to buy supplies to make it myself. In other words, I've never met a craft I didn't want to try. (Except maybe quilting, which I had thoughts of doing once upon a time, but there is so much precision and attention to detail required that I'm pretty sure my interest is going to go unfulfilled.)

Which brings me to the wedding, also known as A Great Excuse To Try New Things.

The first (I'm sure there will be more) new thing I've tried is beaded flowers. There are a number of tutorials out there, and I also ordered a book with different techniques. I've only completed a couple of flowers so far, since it takes a bit to get the techniques to stop seeming awkward, but I'm pleased with the results.

A blue rose bud and a ... red flower.

The best part is that I can have flowers of any style I can imagine, in any color I want. And when Morgan asks, "what kind of flower is that?" I can answer, "uh, who knows?"

No comments:

Post a Comment